It is always something very special when another blogger nominates you for an award. So it really meant a lot to me when Sami Ann from the blog Flowers and Wanderlust nominated me for my 3rd different award in 4 months, “The Very Inspiring Blogger Award”. One of the things that makes Sami Ann’s blog very unique is her bucket list. Please do take the opportunity to check it out. It is definitely the most comprehensive bucket lists I have ever come across. There are 175 items listed, with 85 currently stroked off as complete. It is inspiring to read your posts Sami Ann as you stroke these items off your list. It is an honour to be nominated by you for this award. Thank you, I do accept.
Part of accepting this award, is answering the following 7 questions posted from Sami Ann.
1. What is your favourite book and why?
An interesting question to ask, because as much as I enjoy reading, the last book I have actually read was 4 years ago. It was in college, and part of my course, and I had to do a book report on it. The book was “Still Alice” by Lisa Genova. You could count the number of books I have read on one hand since high school, but this is a fave. It is about a professional woman in her fifties who gets early onset Alzheimer’s. At that time I was volunteering, working with Alzheimer and dementia patients, some who were in their late 40’s and 50’s, and it really struck a chord. To my knowledge there is movie based on the book coming out very soon, based on the book “Still Alice”. I do read every day, but it always newspapers, magazines, study books, reference books, travel books and blogs. Just have a hard time finishing a regular fiction book. THE favourite book for me is the Bible. With the book Still Alice, I read the book, did my report, and have not referred to it again. The Bible, I refer to every day. It’s words provide strength when I am weary, comfort when I am hurting, encouragement for today, and hope for the future.
2. What is your favourite mythical creature?
This is a tough one, because to be honest, I really do not have a favourite. In the local area where I live, there is a legendary local creature that lives that lives in Kempenfelt bay of lake Simcoe called Kempenfelt Kelly which is intriguing and cool.
3. Who has had the biggest impact on your life and why?
This would be my wife Lynne. After being married for 26 years (and dating 3 years prior to that) she knows me very well. Her support and encouragement to me is so invaluable with my struggles with mental health issues. She is my confident and best friend.
4. If you decide what your favourite spirit animal is, what would it be?
Another tough one, because I really do not have a spirit animal as a favourite. All animals are special, but I do have a deep fondness for the bald eagle. Having spent 2 extended summers in coastal Alaska, I loved how this magnificent bird ruled the skis. Just watching this majestic bird effortlessly soaring on the wind currents always left me in great awe. My favourite Bible verse, from Isaiah 40:31 is about the eagle.
5. What culture interests you most?
My answer would be the “Nomads of India”. With my wife having been born in India, and lived the 1st 9 years of her life there, I have a fascination with India, and would love to visit one day. Those with the simplest of all lifestyles are India’s Nomads, who have kept the same traditions and lifestyles for what could be thousands of years. But as the sub-title of this interesting National Geographic article mentions, “India’s 80 million wanderers are torn—clinging to centuries-old traditions while the modern world strips their identities away”.
6. What is the #1 thing to do on your bucket list?
I do have a bucket list on my blog, and so far there are only 4 items listed (one has been completed), however there are many more to be added that are swimming around in my head. But compared to Sami Ann’s list, even after mine are all added, they will still be a drop in the bucket! 🙂 The big thing is to find time to add them, but I will eventually. The #1 item, is my most ambitious one, and that is to cycle across Canada.
7.What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
Probably enrolling into a 3 month extensive instructor training mountain climbing course, despite the fact, that the only mountains I had ever seen in my life were in pictures. My mom in particular, REALLY tried to talk me out of it, but this was what I really wanted. Several of the other students taking the course were intermediate climbers, looking to hone their skills to become experts in the field. It was extremely challenging, particularly with me being at very ground level. Everything I had to learn , right from that 1st knot, but I LOVED it! 🙂
For the next part, I will list my nominees. Normally it is 12 nominees, but the hard part is seeing many of the bloggers I admire have already been nominated. What I have listed is a much shortened list, each blogger I admire. This list will be a bit unique, BECAUSE they all have blogs with 50 followers or less. I would LOVE to have you check them out. 🙂
1. See Fleck Run. (31 followers) You do not have to be a runner to enjoy this blog. I really give it top marks for creativity, and really love this blog to pieces. The posts are humorous, accented with some really fun drawings. Always makes my day when I see a new post. 🙂
2. The Drawing Page (25 followers) Subtitled, “Thoughts On the Process of Drawing”, this blog is very informative and helps my limited understanding. I am more of a “doodler”, I can not sketch or draw. However, my oldest daughter does artwork (totally gets it from her mother), and her artwork has many similarities to what Adriana features on this blog.
3. Bucket List Coach (49 followers) Written by a travel professional, on this blog, you will find a lot of well written, timely articles for the traveller or arm chair traveller. This blog only got launched in the end of September, but already is very comprehensive. It is very obvious that Cindy, the author of this blog is taking it VERY seriously.
4. Shelby All Over (13 followers) Shelby is a young, Christian college student, and in this delightful blog, it shows that she has a genuine love for God. I would love to see you check out this blog and give it a well deserved boost.
5. Writrs. Gallore (50 followers) As an advocate for inner beauty, S. Graham-White is a gifted writer whose posts often refer to her own personal experiences in life. As I reflect on what is shared, I am sometimes comforted, sometimes strengthened, and oftentimes encouraged.
Now I am going to ask 11 questions of the nominees! 🙂
1. Backpack or suitcase?
2 Name 2 things you are most passionate about in life?
3 What is your favourite season, and why?
4 If you had the opportunity to meet 1 celebrity in your lifetime, who would it be?
5 What genre of music do you prefer, and list 2 of your favourite musicians?
6 What is your favourite memory?
7 If you had to eat leftovers of the same meal for a week, and could choose, what would it be?
8 Do you have your own “motto” in life? What is it, if you do?
9 When you head to a theme park, where do you go to first?
10 What is your all time favourite flavour of ice cream?
11 What is the 1 blog post you have written, that you are most proud of?
Last is the rules for the nominees, as posted by Sami Ann. It is entirely up to yourself, if you choose to accept. 🙂
- Nominate 12 blogs which inspire you
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Answer the eleven questions provided by the nominator and make eleven new ones.
- Notify your nominee.
- Thank the person who nominated you and include a link to their blog in your post.
Thank you for taking the time to read another long post.
Wishing you all a really wonderful Christmas.